Monday, May 16, 2011

What's It Like?

I get this question often as well as technical ones like how does it work, how far does it go before the need to re-charge, how fast, etc. It travels up to 25 miles and the top speed is 12.5 mph. But technical questions can be answered via a web search. I'd prefer to share what it's like from a personal perspective.


The First Glide

I'd never tried a Segway i2 before, just a 1st gen which I almost ran into a nice piece of artwork on, but I saw a neighbor gliding on his often, and was able to get his attention and asked for lessons once mine arrived. 

My first glide was scary. The Segway i2 responds to the movement of your body, so if you stand on its self-balancing platform and wobble, it too will wobble. This makes people think naturally that they have to balance it. 

Any uneven surface made me nervous, but my instructor was like a drill sergeant. He made me do then-complicated things like figure eight turns, fast acceleration and stops, and even small curve jumps. He also taught me how to ignore hecklers, which is something you will get when riding a Segway. But like riding a bike or motorcycle, you must concentrate and not allow yourself to be distracted, or you should instead pull over and chat because people will have questions or want to try it (use wise judgement). 

After our sessions and a few rides on my own, I became a Segway gliding beast. Today, it's hard to believe that it was ever difficult. 

Feeling Safe

I'm highly visible in traffic because the Segway platform elevates me. I can glide on the sidewalk (preferably when uncrowded) and travel at pedestrian speed.

With the lean steer technology, turning is super easy. I was once cut off by a cab driver, and my ability to turn on a dime saved me. Attempting to stop on something that would continue accelerating after applying the brakes may have resulted in an injury. 

As well people in NYC especially tend to walk in front of oncoming vehicles. Again, being able to stop quickly on the Segway has proven beneficial.

You can however harm yourself as you could on any moving object if not careful. Wearing a bike helmet, getting proper training is essential.

FALSE RUMOR

No, the inventor Dean Kain did NOT die on a Segway. He's very much alive.

The new owner died, but not on a Segway as Internet rumors suggest. Those rumors are entertaining, and with the Mall Cop references getting old, give people something new to joke about, but utterly false.

It is easy to jump from a platform you are standing on. I was hit by a bus and suffered a mild sprained ankle because I was able to jump off of my Segway. If your car or skates go over a cliff, see how easy it is to jump out. Now back to the awesomeness that is the Segway...

Going Where No Bike (of mine) Has Gone 

I am also a hobby photographer and videographer. On the Segway, I can take my equipment and travel up and down steep hills that would be difficult on the other devices I've owned. Gong downhill on a Segway seems daunting, but after a lesson, I learned to just stand upright, and it was as easy as riding down an escalator...slowly for safety of course. I am not an extreme sports person. 

Parking

Once at my destination, I have 3 options: 

1. Park my Segway inside (preferably)
2. Lock it up at a bike rack (least preferred) 
3. Leave it in a parking garage (where allowed)
4. Lean it against something unlocked when I'm nearby. 

After gliding, I glide up my elevator to my home where I park in in my foyer. At my former gym, they allowed me to park it on the running track. At my former job, there was s parking attendant for bikes and cars who watched over it. I don't always get that lucky though. 

Some buildings like the Apple Store on 14th Street in NYC have glass walls. I love that because I can make a quick run to grab something small and lock the Segway on a bike rack while keeping an eye on it. It's fun to watch people gawk at it from a distance. 

Soma parking garages allow it and charge as they would a motorcycle. But I unfortunately ran into one garage that did not. I had to instead leave it on the street, locked to a bike rack for a full workday. I was super nervous, albeit without reason because it ended up being okay. 

When I'm in a coffee shop or store where I can clearly see it/get to it, I just leave it leaned against something without locking it by chain. 

Securing It


The Segway is not like a bike. A thief cannot cut the chain and wheel away. Good luck with that because it has a smart locking system. The i2 requires an info key to operate.

 I lock mine with the Segway chain lock. I then turn on the security system, which causes it to beep when tampered with, and the wheels to lock! When I'm near the Segway, that info key will alert me when it's being tampered with. If I am not near, the beeping serves as a deterrent. In addition, I also use other safety measures that I won't detail, but they've proven useful.

I have not and do not yet feel comfortable taking it to places like Times, Herald or Union Square where I'd have to leave it in New York's most crowded areas. It may be as safe as any bike there, but I'd worry. Plus, people have strategies and will/can devise a plan to grab it for parts. Crooks are nifty and I wouldn't put anything past them. Despite having insurance, I just don't want to chance it.


Injury Transportation

I developed a growth spur in my foot. The pain was unbearable, and very slow to heal. During that time, walking to a subway or bus proved daunting. I opted instead for my Segway. I just stood on the platform with my injured foot rested, and made my way to and from my destinations. 

I didn't buy the Segway for this purpose, but it certainly proved helpful during that time. 

I Don't Own a Ducati

I have a Tumi backpack and luggage set. I bought it due to the design. Little did I know that the Ducati wording referred to a popular luxury motorcycle. So everywhere I go with my backpack, no one sees the Tumi label. They see Ducati, and ask if I have one. I alsways say, "No, I have a Segway." 

At this point, the conversation becomes all about...well, what this blog is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment